A DIY Valentine’s Day
February 12, 2013
Regardless of what Facebook says your relationship status is, this Thursday is Valentine’s Day (ready or not!)
The National Retail Federation found that consumers plan to spend $18.6 billion on the love filled holiday this year, with the average person spending $130.97 on candy, cards, gifts and more. But Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be about expensive presents and extravagant dinners (although no one would complain about either.) So this Valentine’s Day, if you’re looking to save a little cash, ditch the roses and diamonds for a DIY-holiday.
I typically turn to Pinterest for all things DIY, and for Valentine’s Day, the social pinboard definitely doesn’t disappoint. I’ve outlined my favorite ideas for a DIY holiday below.
Gifts for Her
- Hot Chocolate on a Stick: Who doesn’t love hot chocolate when it’s cold outside? Treat the lady in your life to a decadent cup with this Valentine’s Day twist. She’ll feel pampered and, as a bonus to you, this recipe seems easy enough for most people to use.
- Photo Canvas: Okay, admittedly, this DIY is a bit more advanced. But, if you’re trying to really impress a special woman this Valentine’s Day, a handmade photo-print canvas is sure to do the trick. If you’re feeling ambitious, and have a bit of time, this a great project to give a try. The good news is that imperfections are encouraged!
Gifts for Him
- Chocolate Covered Pretzels: Guys need some loving on Valentine’s Day, too, and who doesn’t love a salty, sweet snack? Chocolate covered pretzel rods are an easy, and completely delicious, way to say “I love you enough to make you a fancy-looking snack.” Bonus? No one has to know if you eat a few during the process.
- Handmade Notebooks: Do you have a guy in your life who likes to write or draw? Then he’ll definitely appreciate a set of handmade, wood grain notebooks. I love that these are small enough to tote in a pocket and unique enough to show personality. I’d make 2 or 3 and give them in a nice little stack.
Gifts for Yourself
- Attack Someone’s Lawn: Don’t want to treat yourself on Valentine’s Day? Make yourself feel good by spreading the love to someone else. This easy DIY uses a heart stencil and everyday flour to add some love to someone’s lawn. Is there snow on the ground in your neighborhood? Draw some hearts in the snow instead!
- Chocolate Mousse: If you’re feeling a bit down this Thursday, I’m all for treating yourself. And in my opinion there’s no better treat than chocolate mousse. This particular recipe serves 6, but I won’t tell anyone if you eat it all yourself.
Are you planning anything special this Valentine’s Day? Whether it’s DIY or a chartered helicopter to Paris, leave a comment and let us know!
No related posts.
Article source: http://blog.raveis.com/2013/02/11/a-diy-valentines-day/